- How does airbrush tanning work? Your body is airbrushed with a solution that contains DHA (dihydroxyacetone), a colorless sugar. Over a period of several hours, the DHA interacts with the amino acids in the surface layer of your skin to darken your skin and produce a natural-looking glow!
- How long will my tan last? Airbrush tanning only affects the outer layer of skin. So as your skin cells naturally shed and regenerate, the airbrush tan will evenly fade away. Your airbrush tan should last 7-10 days, but everyone’s skin cells regenerate at their own rate. The average length is about a week. Moisturizing and washing delicately are the keys to making your tan last as long as possible.
- Is airbrush tanning safe? Mecca is committed to making your sunless experience safe and enjoyable! Whenever you tan with us, please be sure to use proper eye-wear, nose filters, and lip protection. We use a strong backdrop exhaust ventilator for over spray in each room and provide complimentary eye-wear, nose filters, and lip protection. For more information on sunless tanning, please visit the FDA Site.
- Can I get an airbrush tan while pregnant or nursing? Airbrush tanning while pregnant or nursing is generally considered safe. However, please consult with your doctor before airbrush tanning.
- Will my tan be orange or streaky? Absolutely not! Discoloration is the result of improper training by the airbrush technician. A professional airbrush technician will select an appropriate solution based on your skin type and desired tan. Streakiness is caused by improper application of home tanning creams and sprays. This is why you should always let a professional apply your airbrush tan.
- What should I wear during my tan? You can wear as much or as little as you like. For men, we suggest wearing dark swim trunks or dark-colored boxer shorts. For women, we suggest wearing a dark bikini or thong. However, women are perfectly welcome to tan topless so there won’t be any tan lines.
- What should I do after my tan? Relax! The first night, it is best to wear dark-colored pajamas or dark, baggy/loose clothing in order to prevent disturbing your tan from fully developing. This will also protect your sheets; do not sleep on silk sheets as staining will occur. Visit our Preparation & Aftercare page for more details on what to do after your tan.